Sunday, April 16, 2006

 

20,000 Views on My Albums!

Actually, 21,614 views and 1163 downloads to all my albums! 6 days ago my weekly stats report from Webshots indicated that I had 8,742 total views and 254 downloads. For those of you who don’t use the Webshots Desktop, the download figure means how many times images have been downloaded from my collection into the Webshots Desktop for the purpose of displaying on their desktop and/or screensavers. A week ago I had figured that at the then current rate of views of 400 to 600 a week I was figuring on breaking 10,000 views in 3 or so weeks. Instead the albums blew past 20,000 in less than a week!

I had kind of figured that the National Arboretum album might pick up the pace a bit, but I had no idea what was in store for me on the 10th when Amy M made the National Arboretum album her Staff Pick. The first day after that the National Arboretum album got more than 1100 views and the view rate increased steadily since then with just over 2000 views yesterday for a current total of 11,500 views and 859 downloads as of today. By itself that one album blew past any and all personal statistic records I had. I will have the official 7 day tally tomorrow, but this goes way beyond any record in terms of views that I had gotten. My previous high views for a week was the week ending February 12th where I had gotten 879 views that week. So as things stand my view count across all albums for the past 6 days is 12,899 and 909 downloads. Since the National Arboretum album started at 281 views in the last statistic reporting period that means it has gotten 11,219 so far this week and all other albums put together got 1680 views and 50 downloads. This by itself would smash any previous personal stats records, but it would not have happened without the Staff Picks as the increase in views to the other albums are largely residual visitors. But I am happy that some people are hanging around and enjoying my other albums.

I will now bore you with even more information of interest only to me. Whereas National Arboretum is at #1 with both views and downloads, Horseshoe Curve is #2 in views with 2211 and #3 in downloads with 44, BNSF & UP in Illinois is #3 in views with 1844 and #2 in downloads with 126 (which it has been accumulating since July of 2003). #4 in views is CP & SOO Line in Northern Minnesota with 739 which it has also been accumulating since July of 2003. Howard University currently in 5th place with 680 views will probably overtake it in a few weeks. #4 in downloads is Roanoke, VA and Skyline Drive which has 26 and surprisingly got no downloads this past week. I do not really have any complaints about the view and download rates of the other albums with the exception of Wye Island 01-16-05 which currently has only 115 views. Some of my favorite shots are in that album.

The number of folks who have added my albums as Favorite has shot up from 3 last week to 15 as of this writing. All of these things really make me feel good. I am happy that people are enjoying the photos I have taken. I wish there were better facilities for communicating with people on my albums at Webshots. There are good facilities here at Blogspot when one replies to a blog entry, but so far the only person who has done so is a fellow from Qoop. I do not know if this means that not many people are viewing my blog or if they just don’t have anything to say. In any event, I am writing to the blog mainly to expand the descriptions of the various albums and to comment on other things related to the albums so technically if the only person that sees these is me, it is fulfilling its purpose. But I would encourage anyone with questions or comments to reply to any of my blog entries.

This past week has been a big learning experience in terms of views. I had previously not known how some people were apparently getting so many views per day. I did not realize there were that many folks looking at Webshots images on a daily basis. I would like to hope that I will someday make the Staff Picks again and experience this kind of balloon in view statistics. I realize that to get the really big numbers you need to be in the spotlight. I don’t think this is necessarily a bad thing. Not everyone can be in the spotlight all the time. I have also seen that to get bigger numbers you need to do two basic things: Have good photos that cater to a relatively narrow field of interest (in my case I have some Trains related albums) and two, advertise your album in a place of interest. In my case when I have a railroad related album I post the link to it to the railroad related BBS I check a few times a week (http://www.trainboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi). Otherwise you are basically competing against an ocean of very talented people and you have to rely on luck to get something like the Staff Picks. The people who are really talented wind up on Webshot’s front page. Albums with high views wind up on the Top Downloads page (which apparently has a bug in it since even though the National Arboretum has 766 views, it is not located on this page). You may be fortunate to have someone do some advertising for you. With that in mind I ask that you please check the following album and blog: Eugeneinthemiddle’s album and his blog.

I would like to thank everyone who has stopped by to view and download my images and I am very happy that you are enjoying them!

Comments:
Hi Matthew,

Glad to hear that the Staff Pick (which was well deserved) had such a positive effect! Thanks for sharing your photos, and keep up the good photos. AmyM
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?